PickPocket Foraging Pouches
We eat from a plate, but dogs prefer to search for their dinner and treats using their powerful sense of smell. PickPocket Foraging Pouches were designed by a pet owner, canine behaviourist and enrichment specialist, with this in mind, and provide an exciting floor-based foraging experience.
The PickPocket Foraging Pouches offers a unique foraging experience for your dog. Each Pouch is filled with treats or small toy(s) and then folded within a larger Pouch to provide an exciting puzzle-solving opportunity. Your dog has to pull out and unfold each Pouch in turn to reach the food or toy within.
Nose Work Facts – did you know?
- A dog’s sense of smell is over 10,000 times the strength of ours.
- A dog’s olfactory bulb (which processes scent) is the size of a plumb compared to ours, the size of a raisin.
- Scent can evoke strong emotions and scent memory lasts a lifetime.
- A dog’s nose is wet because moisture holds the scent molecules better.
- When dogs lick the air, they often do this to capture scent
Who is the PickPocket Foraging Pouches suitable for?
The PickPocket Foraging Pouches are suitable for most dogs and puppies for mental stimulation and emotional well-being, and is especially therapeutic for dogs on restricted exercise, for senior dogs or those with sensory impairment. Foraging can help to calm anxious dogs.
- ideal for dogs on restricted exercise
- marvellous for anxious dogs (foraging is calming)
- useful for training & distraction from unwanted behaviour
- recommended by behaviourists & vets
- fabulous for puppy development
- suitable for dogs with sensory impairment
- perfect mental stimulation for golden oldies
How can the PickPocket Foraging Pouches be used for training?
- Grooming – encourage your dog to forage while you brush him
- Husbandry – distract your dog while you trim nails and inspect him
- Distraction – use to interrupt unwanted behaviour such as barking
How do I first introduce the PickPocket Foraging Pouches?
Some dogs may paw or pull at the PickPocket Foraging Pouches to reach the treats or toy. In order to teach foraging skills, we recommend you introduce the Pouches by following the 5 steps detailed below:
- Lay the Pouch on the floor with the pockets open to form a dome. Hide treats / toy(s) for your dog to find. (You can lure your dog to the pocket by holding a treat 1cm from his nose for him to follow and then placing the treats / toy(s) in the Pouch).
- Add a “find the treats / Toy” cue so your dog learns to use his nose.
- Repeat step 1 & 2 but this time flatten the pockets to make access harder.
- Next fold the Pouch in on itself and when your dog can empty this, increase the difficulty (see step 5).
- Finally place the folded Pouches laiden with treats/ toy(s) inside each other.
PickPocket Foraging Pouches *Important Notice*
Please be aware that there are various degrees of skill level depending upon how you fold the pouches inside of each other. Our video below, shows Talulah using the product at its most advanced.
Most dogs will need to start off without the pouch folded inside itself to learn the skills. PLEASE supervise your dog at all times when using the product.
The PickPocket Fabric Food Forager company tested with their Goldie who tried to chew the pouch to get the treat out at first and this was information – it was too hard! By supervising , they were able to make the task easier.
Currently the PickPocket Foraging Pouches are sold in sets of three. Sizes are approximate (and will vary slightly) as each set is handmade with oodles of love:
- Large pouch 27cm x 27cm
- Medium pouch 21cm x 21cm
- Small pouch 16cm x 16cm
Please contact us with any specific requirements.
*Please note: The backing fabric / trim colour may differ from that pictured but will be broadly similar.
Care of the PickPocket Foraging Pouches
Your dog’s PickPocket Foraging Pouches are fully machine washable and can be tumble dried on a cool setting.
PickPocket Foraging Pouches More Info
Interested and want to know more? Why not watch the PickPocket Foraging Pouches in action: click below to watch Chief Pawster Talulah product testing:
PickPocket Related Products
We have many more great products in our Enrichment Shop, why not check them out here?
Important Information – Please Remember
Animal enrichment is not a mechanism to keep your pet occupied when alone or to distract them whilst you do other things.
Please remember to introduce ALL new activities SLOWLY, especially if they expose your pet to new sounds, i.e. the sound of ripping Velcro, clicks or high pitched noises. Conditioning your pet to an activity or toy (and its specific features) is crucial to ensure it becomes an enriching experience and not something they are wary or frightened of.
As with all enrichment activities, your dog should be supervised when using PickPocket products. Some very determined dogs may destroy or ingest fabric if left unsupervised. Please check the PickPocket product regularly for any damage, and replace whenever it becomes damaged or defective to avoid any harm coming to your dog. Discard damaged products and do not let your dog attempt to swallow any pieces. Ensure you seek veterinary advice if you have any concerns.
Unless specifically advertised as such, advertised products are not designed or intended for strong / aggressive chewers.